I was asked to try out the Tulip tie dye products by ILoveToCreate, and was having so much fun with them that I ended up creating 3 different Summer tank tops for me. And just in time for the heat wave headed our way later this week, too!
And “folding” is one of the techniques explained on the poster:
For this technique, you want to start with a damp surface. And if your garment is new, make sure to wash it first before dying, with just a small amount of laundry detergent, to remove any sizing.
First, I turned in the sides, and turned down the top, to make more of a square-ish shape to begin folding.
Next, I folded the top in an accordian style – think of those paper fans you made as a child. You did make those, right?
Extreme close-up view of the accordian-style folds, as shown with the green lines.
Decide how many sections you want – I chose 7 sections as I purposely wanted an odd number – and rubberband every few inches.
Choose which sections will be dyed with which color, and apply the dyes to the garment. I wanted my vertical “stripe” to be on the side seam, as well as off-center on the shirt. I applied teal first, then the orange. Next, I wrapped it in the plastic and set it aside for 6 hours.
Time to rinse! I kept the rubberbands on during the initial phase of rinsing, and then removed them and continued rinsing until the water ran clear.
Time to wash! Set your machine to a large load setting, and use the hottest water appropriate for your garment with just a tiny bit of laundry detergent. I actually used cold water, because that’s just what I usually do with my Summer tops, and the top came out just fine. Pop the top into the dryer, again on whatever setting is appropriate, or just hang it up to air dry.
|…and the back|
I’m really happy with how this top turned out, and again – I am amazed at how easy it is to create some fun Summer tops in the trendy tie dye styles so popular right now!
Disclosure: I wrote a previous tie dye post (you can see it here) as part of a paid campaign but this post is just me playing with the Tulip Tie Dye Kits a bit more as it was just that much fun!